Prototyping and testing a better mobile job search and application experience
With the first version of the prototype ready for testing, I set up several different short links using bitly so that we could easily direct users to specific scenarios on their own phone. To get a lot of testing done quickly, I helped to orchestrate a small table in the VCU student center. Over the course of a day, with two groups (each consisting of a designer and product manager) running separate tests, we tested the prototype with about 25 students in 4 different scenarios. At the end of the day, we reconvened and discussed major findings.
I took those findings and made adjustments to the flow and design of the prototype to improve on areas of friction. We then scheduled another round of testing at the VCU student center and reran tests with the updated prototype.
By the end of our second test session, students were excited about the prototype and wanted to know when it would be available to help them look for jobs. They could easily see themselves searching for and applying to jobs using the design in the prototype. The HTML and CSS running the prototype were polished enough that they could be used as a starting point for developing a production ready system. Many of the ideas and designs we created and validated in the prototype were implemented and improved upon in the mobile website.