Hello, I’m Ste Grainer.
I’m a designer and developer from Richmond, VA. I design, code, and write with a focus on clarity, usefulness, and delight.
About design, development, and other whims
On UXcellence …
Jul 27, 2019
Make Time to Play: How Breaks, Hobbies, and Boredom Can Improve Creativity
Jun 27, 2019
Automation for Designers: Starting with Email, Photoshop, and Sketch
Jun 12, 2019
How to Build a Handy Portfolio Filter
May 29, 2019
Automation for Designers: An Introduction
May 22, 2019
Nice Touch: Sharing Podcast Clips in Overcast
Mar 11, 2019
Organizing Design Work for Your Team (and Your Future Self)
& on my journal
Want to follow along?
Once a month, I share new articles I’ve published on UXcellence alongside a broad collection of great resources on design, development, research, writing and more from a diverse set of creators. Occasionally I also give sneak previews of new projects I’m working on.
Helpful tools, techniques, & things made by others
- 4 stars. A great in-depth exploration of why generalists often have an advantage in innovation and discovery.
- 4 stars. A great book on its own, but even better as a cap to the series. I'm looking forward to reading more by N.K. Jemisin.
- 5 stars. This show just keeps getting consistently better. I watched every moment of this season with a big dopey grin.
- 5 stars. Felt like a classic fairy tale without becoming boring, predictable, or cliche.
- 4 stars. A great epilogue to Avengers: Endgame, and a fun story in its own right.
- 4 stars. Brilliant collection of ideas for ways to pay attention, encourage curiosity, and spark creativity.