Hello, I’m Ste Grainer.
I’m a designer and developer from Richmond, VA. I design, code, and write with a focus on clarity, usefulness, and delight.
About design, development, and other whims
On UXcellence …
Jul 27, 2019
Make Time to Play: How Breaks, Hobbies, and Boredom Can Improve Creativity
Jun 27, 2019
Automation for Designers: Starting with Email, Photoshop, and Sketch
Jun 12, 2019
How to Build a Handy Portfolio Filter
May 29, 2019
Automation for Designers: An Introduction
May 22, 2019
Nice Touch: Sharing Podcast Clips in Overcast
Mar 11, 2019
Organizing Design Work for Your Team (and Your Future Self)
& on my journal
Want to follow along?
Once a month, I share new articles I’ve published on UXcellence alongside a broad collection of great resources on design, development, research, writing and more from a diverse set of creators. Occasionally I also give sneak previews of new projects I’m working on.
Helpful tools, techniques, & things made by others
- 4 stars. A good mix of science fiction and thriller in a story reminiscent of a good Michael Crichton book.
- 3 stars. This was a pretty entertaining post-apocalyptic novel with some fun ideas and a well-told story.
- 4 stars. This was a thought-provoking overview of the history of human development.
- 4 stars. Well-written, enthralling conclusion to the two-part series started by The Calculating Stars.
- 3 stars. A common-sense approach to handling media with family guided by research and a broad variety of experts.
- 5 stars. An excellent guide to making comics, from character and story to tools and techniques.